ENERGY FOR WHAT’S AHEAD
Are you looking to make a difference in your career? We’re working on smarter grids, cleaner energy and tools to help people manage energy more efficiently.
About Operational Services…
Operational Services (OS) impacts the success of every area of the company. We own the responsibility to keep our employees, facilities and the public safe. We also monitor, benchmark and improve processes with integrity and compliance. From our supply chain, with the goods and services we purchase and store, to being a trusted partner in maintaining a robust transmission and distribution system, our work helps SCE sustain a safe, reliable, affordable and clean energy grid. Operational and service excellence is our main objective in everything we do.
As the Helicopter Operations Specialist, you will provide continuing field support and expert mission planning to aircraft pilots as well as be a Hoist Operator. You will be an integral part of the system of checks and balances that allows Aircraft Operations to assess and mitigate aviation risks while flying helicopters in the wires environment and safely moving external loads including Human External Cargo. This position will perform essential functions as part of the overall aircraft operation.
The position requires the ability to analyze problems and develop/implement helicopter support plans and tactics under tight time constraints and with limited information – thus maximizing the proper allocation of helicopter/personnel assets while ensuring work site readiness. Effective time management skills and the ability to plan and organize an unpredictable workload are also needed. You will need to be able to work independently as well as in a team environment in order to meet shared goals and objectives. Similarly, you should possess and demonstrate the ability to communicate ideas, concepts, and technical data both verbally and in writing for the purpose of educating, and even influencing a diverse audience of partners. You may be required to make prompt decisions based on forecast and/or unanticipated weather events as well as environmental occurrences (fires, earthquakes, mechanical, etc.) which could have an adverse effect on safety and flight completion.
The day to day…
- Finalize job site readiness, develop and submit congested area plans (CAP’s) for approval, ensure that applicable permits are filed and approved, consult with client work crews and coordinate external-load equipment, rigging, and ground support requirements. Support the Helicopter Pilot during field operations with ground coordination and aircraft fueling on site. Transport aircraft fuel to/from work site (requires Class A w/Hazmat).
- Coordinate multiple projects, evaluate project status and institute changes as needed to maximize safety. Perform inspection and analysis of proposed work and ensure department policies and procedures, FAA Part 133, and applicable helicopter work methods and safe work practices are accomplished.
- Perform duties as a Helicopter Hoist Operator and coordinate lift plans for these jobs to allow Transmission Lineman access to towers that in the past they couldn’t with traditional Human External Cargo operations.
- Consult with Aircraft Operations Chief Pilot, Flight Operations Manager, AOC and Maintenance Manager to ensure safety and compliance with standard operating procedures and project goals.
- Maintain rigging and external load currency/qualification and seek continuous improvement in the field. Maintain rigging equipment and supplies in a manner that promotes safety and effective industry best-practice field operations.
- Conduct HD, IR and/or LiDAR flights for patrol and reconnaissance flights to include Part 107 UAV operations. Process high definition video as needed for clients.