Snohomish County Sheriff's Office
5506 Old Machias Road
Snohomish , WA 98290
The primary duties of this position are in support of the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office (SCSO) aviation unit and equipment. The Chief Pilot manages all aspects of the Air Support Unit (ASU). The ASU provides airborne law enforcement, search and rescue (SAR), and firefighting capabilities to Snohomish County and the region. Responsible for coordinating, monitoring and developing unit training programs, maintaining Sheriff's Office aircraft in accordance with appropriate Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Regulations and appropriate aircraft maintenance programs.
STATEMENT OF ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
1. Supervise all aspects of flight training for Sheriff's Office pilots including conducting pilot proficiency and standardization flights and evaluating prospective pilot applicants; supervise unit pilots during training flights.
2. Monitor and determine flight status of Unit pilots and aircrew members
3. Maintain Unit training records on all pilot training; schedule biennial flight evaluations and develop monthly training schedules.
4. Supervise the Unit Aviation Safety Officer.
5. Determine airworthiness of the Sheriff's Office helicopters in consult with maintenance contractor, as necessary; monitor the workmanship of maintenance contractors; assist in the preparation of specifications for additional aircraft equipment or replacement aircraft.
6. Serve as liaison with the contract maintenance facilities; evaluate and schedule maintenance inspections in accordance with manufacturer maintenance directives and Sheriff's Office requirements; inspect contract work performed.
7. Responsible for aircraft logbook maintenance records, flight logs, and job tags, and performing other duties related to aircraft and equipment to ensure required standards are met.
8. Schedule and conduct maintenance flights, as required.
9. Monitor and manage the annual flight hour budget to include costs for fuel, maintenance, parts, supplies and equipment.
10. Prepare yearly cumulative activity statistics.
STATEMENT OF OTHER JOB DUTIES
11. May perform as PIC for both UH1H and MD500 aircraft.
12. May train and qualify personnel in Night Vision Goggle equipped flight operations.