This position is accountable to the D.O.M. for the overall management of the Maintenance Operations for the Maui maintenance base to ensure that the assigned aircraft, facilities, tooling, parts and equipment are maintained to company standards and FAA/Manufacturer’s Airworthiness Standards as prescribed by applicable regulations, directives and good standard practices.
At Blue Hawaiian Helicopters, we are a team committed to preserving the living history of Hawaii by sharing the authentic history and culture of Hawaii. In the process we are able to inform and demonstrate to our guests the safety and unique benefits of helicopters while causing the least impact to the sensitive, remote environments that we visit.
The classification of this position is broad and assigned specific functional areas; duties and assignments may overlap depending on the operational needs of the department.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities include the following but not limited to:
- Manage & supervise the performance of scheduled/unscheduled maintenance to include required aircraft inspections, component changes and preventative maintenance for the assigned maintenance base of operations.
- Responsible to assist the D.O.M/Chief Inspector and QA department in the performance of Quality Control & Quality Assurance functions as well as the continuous monitoring of maintenance performed; to include mechanical performance monitoring, compliance documentation review, trend analysis and internal audits as deemed necessary by the D.O.M.
- Responsible to work closely with the D.O.M., base Operations Managers and Maintenance Supervisor to ensure scheduled maintenance requirements are continually monitored planned and scheduled as required and that adequate personnel and time allotments are allocated for work required. Strive to eliminate conflicts with operations, improve in service rates while maintaining regulatory compliance.
- Responsible to make recommendations to the D.O.M. for system, process and procedural improvements in an effort to improve the overall maintenance operations and efficiency.
- Responsible to coordinate, communicate and work closely with the maintenance Supervisor(s) and maintenance staff to ensure efficient and proper maintenance department operations for the assigned base.
- Responsible to ensure that aircraft and equipment are properly maintained in accordance with company requirements, FAA regulations and Manufacturers requirements/specifications, as applicable.
- Responsible to monitor the quality and performance of maintenance performed to include documentation of work performed; to ensure compliance with FAA, Manufacturers and company requirements and / or recommendations.
- Ensure timeliness and quality of all aircraft, engine and avionic maintenance performed.
- Ensure that aircraft, facilities, ground support equipment and work areas are maintained to company standards.
- Ensure accountability for all company owned equipment, expendable items, tooling, parts and company property.
- Coordinate with maintenance management and logistics departments of BHH to ensure aircraft parts, equipment, tooling and man power required to support aircraft maintenance operations are readily available at the Maui maintenance base when required.
- Plan and coordinate maintenance duty schedules, personnel work assignments for the assigned bases for maximum efficiency and support. Manage requests for time off to ensure proper balance between adequate staffing requirements and employee satisfaction. Maintain work hour tracking program Ultipro.
- Participate in hiring and termination decisions. Coach, counsel, congratulate and discipline when the situation demands. Provide regular feedback to maintenance staff, including timely performance appraisals. Makes recommendations with respect to training and promotions.
- Ensure Technical documentation(s) are current and updated as required and that maintenance records are completed and submitted in a timely manner and IAW regulatory requirements and company policy.
- Assist the D.O.M. in planning and scheduling of all aircraft maintenance and the maintenance department employees for the assigned base.
- Schedule, monitor and perform or assist in house training as required for maintenance department employees at the assigned bases. Suggest training recommendations to the D.O.M.
- Assist D.O.M. in setting/achieving short & long range departmental goals and in establishing and refining Standard Operating Procedures.
- Communicate aircraft status, scheduling and maintenance requirements with the D.O.M, base operations manager and pilot supervisors, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Subject to applicable laws and company’s policies, regular attendance is an essential function of the position. All employees must follow company’s employment practices and policies.
Directly supervises employees in the Kauai Maintenance department. Carries out Supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, selecting, hiring, and training employees, planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance, rewarding and disciplining employees, addressing complaints and resolving problems. For Exempt Managers: Managers that carry out these responsibilities for two or more employees will have significant input in hiring and termination decisions.